From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-14 09:48:24

There have been two recent reports of Boost.Filesystem failures on Window
98. One involved Win98 using slightly different rules for network paths, the
other was use of an unsupported function.

The change to fix the first problem is very simple, but pervasive. It also
applies only to the current version - the code is different for the i18n
version, so will need to be tested again even if a change to the current
version works OK.

The second problem really needs testing, probably under a debugger. The full
regression tests should also be run to ensure that more than one function
isn't involved.

I realize that those having to support legacy machines would like
Boost.Filesystem to support Win 9X. But I don't really see any way to
support 9X without some time consuming testing and debugging effort.

But I just don't have the time and other resources to do that.

So unless someone else volunteers to run Win 9X tests, debug problem
reports, and submit patches, I'm not planning to try to support Win 9X.

If anyone out there cares enough to volunteer some time and effort, please
let me know.

Thanks,

--Beman