From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-15 00:44:08

Raz writes:
> Ok. I understand how to do this, but I just have a few questions.
>
> First, let me just lay out my available computers:
>
> Intel P3 1GHz (mobile chip so it really runs at 700 MHz)
> 256Mb Ram
> Windows XP SP 2
> VC++ 7.1, 7, and 8 if needed
>
> Intel P4 HT GHz
> 512 Mb Ram
> Windows XP SP 2
> VC++ 7.1
>
> Anyway, here are my questions:
>
> Which computer would be best to run these tests on? Would both be
> better?

I'd say whichever is less used by you :). Basically, the shorter
turnaround time for a particular toolset's results is, the
better. Normally, people run the tests nightly because during the day
their machines are doing something else, but if you can afford to do
it more often, it definitely would be appreciated. If the machines are
equally busy, just pick the one that is generally faster.

> How much space do these tests usually take?

I'd say at most 10 Gb per toolset.

> How long do these tests typically run for one toolset?

Somewhere between 2 to 4 hours per toolset.

> Is there a way to install VC++ 8 remotely[*]?

Don't know the answer to this, but it sounds like we will have this
particular one covered one way or another, so you might just postpone
setting it up until it's relatively painless for you :).

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering