From: Jonathan Wakely (cow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-20 03:02:32

>Robert Ramey wrote:
> Lucas Galfaso wrote:
> > I am still not sure that you can not put a representation of the
> > character \0 inside an XML, but if it were possible, the natural
> > representation would be "�" (without the quotes) Why not just use
> > it?

Have you tried it? It's not a valid entity, using it means your XML is
not well-formed. It doesn't matter whether you say � or � (the
decimal and hexadecmial forms are exactly equivalent - but 0 is still
not a validnumerical entity.)

> That's the solution for '\0'. Its just not obvious to me that that is the
> whole problem. What about '\01' ? or non-printable characters in general?
> Does the encoding come into play? How? These are questions I don't
> currently have an answer to.

As long as you can read the same data back and restore the same sequence
of bytes it doesn't really matter.

jon