From: Eric Breimer (ebreimer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-20 08:52:24

We are interested in submitting a collection of novel graph clustering
algorithms to the Boost Graph Library and we wanted to see if there was
any interest.

Unlike conventional clustering algorithms that partition a graph into
disjoint subsets, our algorithms efficiently compute locally optimal
dense subsets. This can lead to overlapping clusters, which has
advantages in many applications. The algorithms have been shown to work
effectively on both synthetic and real-world graphs, and also have been
shown to outperform well-known k-neighborhood heuristics. See:

1. http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~goldberg/publications/isi-05-clust.pdf
2. http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~goldberg/publications/iadis-clus.doc

The algorithms are truly general-purpose. They work on any type of
graph; A user only needs to supply a density metric. A density metric
can factor the size of the cluster to help control or regulate the size
of the desired clusters. We have efficient algorithms for creating an
initial set of clusters based on a given density metric, and we have
efficient algorithms that can refine and optimize the density of an
existing set of clusters.