From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-20 14:28:40

This is a great email. It illustrates why I tend to drag my feet on things
like this. This is not going to be addressed right away so feel free to
investigate and discuss it.

FWIW I personally would like options 1 - use &#0 anyway - basically because
it would preserve the idea that an xml_archive can do anything any other
archive can do and doesn't ripple XML - ness back into the library or user
programs. But even this is not so trivial. Its not clear to me whether it
should apply to all non-printable character. This then raises the issue of
what is non-printable in a UTF context. Then it makes me wonder what the
"encoding" attribute in XML is for in a UTF file. This is a perfect example
how something that seems simple at first glance turns in to a really time
consuming issue.

I've never warmed up to XML myself. I learned enough of the details to
implement xml_?archive but I still never learned to like it. The only thing
I've found it useful for is checking that load/save functions match. The
xml_archive classes check that the end tag is found in the right place and
in fact matches the start tag so any difference in the save / load functions
throws an exception. So if I have an obscure problem I test using
xml_archive.

Other than the above, the only utility I can see for the xml_?archive is as
some sort of bridge to the "outside world". That's why I set aside the
original string representation - as a sequence of numbers - in favor of the
current one - a text string. The mismatch between what std::string does and
xml text data does is the source of the problem.

I would hope that some smart person can find the sentence, in the paragraph,
on the page, in the chapter of the relevant document which can deal with
this is some sort of comforming way.

Good Luck

Robert Ramey