From: Graham (Graham_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-24 16:33:25

Message: 2

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:32:03 -0400

From: Ben Artin <macdev_at_[hidden]>

Subject: Re: [boost] Call for interest for native unicode character

      and string support in boost

To: boost_at_[hidden]

Dear Ben,

Thanks for the reference, I have already taken a look at the previous
posts.

does mention the primitive types.

I see that vector is a preference as a container - however I don't see
any handling of graphemes, words, lines, and sentences which are
integral parts on the Unicode 4 specification. Nor do I see any proposal
for how to integrate the actual Unicode data which is vital to being
able to implement Unicode iterators, sort, upper/lower case conversion,
and the rest.... I have not seen anything on providing the necessary
support for character information e.g. to convert logical to display
order.

This data even when optimised will still be several meg of data - but a
Unicode implementation cannot fly without it. Nor do I see how you can
ensure that if you base Unicode strings on vector that you can ensure
that the contents is a Unicode string [e.g. adding the first member of a
surrogate only and not adding the second member].

Has the conversation moved on?

Where is this currently being discussed?

Thanks.

Yours,

Graham Barnett

BEng, MCSD/ MCAD .Net, MCSE/ MCSA 2003, CompTIA Sec+