From: Larry Evans (cppljevans_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-26 11:23:59

On 07/26/2005 10:39 AM, David Abrahams wrote:
> Larry Evans <cppljevans_at_[hidden]> writes:

>>>Oh, you want a cross-product iterator. Interesting idea.
>>>

>>BTW, the J or apl term for this would be "outer-product"
>>(produced with '/' operator) applied to the "append" operator
>>(','):
>>
>> ,/
>>

> Wow, I'm impressed. I usedta know APL inside-out, but it's been 25
> years. But that's just an ASCII translation of the real symbol, no?

No, actually J is an ascii translation of apl. I should have been
clearer ;( I originally started to use apl and %o% to "represent" the
'jot' apl symbol, but I figured referring to J with it's ascii
characters would be easier and *hopefully* easier to read. Anyway, in
apl, it would be:

      S1 %o%., S2

where, as mentioned, %o% represents to apl 'jot' symbol.

The following is another reference to "outer-product" (and also
where I got the idea to use %o%):

   http://www.math.unm.edu/splus/node37.html