From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-29 22:22:27

David Abrahams wrote:

> Now that I read your description of history, it seems to be just an
> artifact of your unwillingness to use Rene's fix.

Lets make simple, just fix bjam so that one can use the DEPENDS clause to
condition the invocation of one test upon the successful completion of
another test. Thats the way I would expect the DEPENDS clause to work from
looking at the bjam documentation. I never suggested it before because I
assumed that the problem would solve itself with bjam v2. But that's not
here yet.

> Rene spent quite some effort on figuring out how to let you specify
> ordering and make it work. I think you should make sure his efforts
> don't go to waste. If you need to be more comfortable with the code,
> get him to explain it until you understand it.

Its hard to include code that one can't understand in a project one is
responsable for. The real source the problem is that bjam is hard to use
and has lots quirky behavior. I haven't dwelled upon it because I know that
it is being worked on.

While we're on the issue of Jamfiles, I did change my local Jamfile for
comeau compilers to use static libraries and it seemed to get much better
results. I could check in my change but I seem to recall that a change was
going to be made in the como ... vc-7_1 toolset to address this. So far
test results show this hasn't happened. So I'm confused as to whether to
check in this change.

Robert Ramey