From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-30 10:56:09

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> Now that I read your description of history, it seems to be just an
>> artifact of your unwillingness to use Rene's fix.
>
> Lets make simple, just fix bjam so that one can use the DEPENDS clause to
> condition the invocation of one test upon the successful completion of
> another test.

bjam doesn't need to be fixed to allow that.

> Thats the way I would expect the DEPENDS clause to work from
> looking at the bjam documentation.

That _is_ how the DEPENDS rule works.

However, you can't expect it to work the way *you* invoked it. The
names you used are not the names of the actual Jam targets involved.

>> Rene spent quite some effort on figuring out how to let you specify
>> ordering and make it work. I think you should make sure his efforts
>> don't go to waste. If you need to be more comfortable with the code,
>> get him to explain it until you understand it.
>
> Its hard

...but not impossible...

> to include code that one can't understand in a project one is
> responsable for. The real source the problem is that bjam is hard
> to use and has lots quirky behavior. I haven't dwelled upon it
> because I know that it is being worked on.

Then learn to understand it or remove the tests that depend on that
behavior. The current situation is simply unacceptable.

> While we're on the issue of Jamfiles, I did change my local Jamfile for
> comeau compilers to use static libraries and it seemed to get much better
> results. I could check in my change but I seem to recall that a change was
> going to be made in the como ... vc-7_1 toolset to address this. So far
> test results show this hasn't happened. So I'm confused as to whether to
> check in this change.

I don't know the status of any planned como toolset changes. You
should ask on the jamboost list.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting