From: Jeff Flinn (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-02 15:01:00

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Consider the following:
>
> I presume your going to be loading archives which which were saved with
> 1.32
>
> a) so this means you should be including BOOST_..._132.hpp so that you can
> load the old archives.

I'm lucky enough to not need to support 1.32 archives. I was aware of the
shared_ptr_132.hpp issue from following the devel list.

> b) However, this will save new archives in the new format. The new format
> doesn't need the BOOST_SHARED_POINTER_EXPORT_GUID . However, the new
> format will require export of the underlying type - something that
> BOOST_SHARED_POINTER_EXPORT_GUID did as a side-effect.

Ok, I missed that there was no longer a need for
BOOST_SHARED_POINTER_EXPORT_GUID in reading the changes section. Also I
never #included boost/serialization/shared_ptr_132.hpp so I'm surprised that
I didn't get a compiler error that BOOST_SHARED_POINTER_EXPORT_GUID was not
defined. Most likely a VC7.1 oddity/bug.

I changed to BOOST_SHARED_POINTER_EXPORT_GUID(along with a clean build) and
lo-and-behold all works like a charm! In fact I've been able to clean up a
lot of kluges required to work around VC7.1 ICE's. I previously had to
separate more than 3 exports macro calls into multiple files. Compilation is
also much faster.

A very, very nice improvement in serialization, iostreams and all the rest
of Boost!

Congratulations and Thanks to all involved!

Jeff