From: felipe (pbr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-10 03:14:22

hello and good day to all,

Well, I posted earlier about this, but yes, if you are going make a decent
"any" with stack-allocation, you should let the maximum buffer size be
variable. I didn't go into details about alignment or exceptions because
I think it's pretty much old news. (In his article "Discriminated
Unions", Andrei Alexandrescu considers all of this, however I don't
totally agree with his implementation--too hairy for the 9-to-5
programmer.) My own recommendation is that both alignment and buffer size
be adjustable. By default they should have sensible values. For example,
8 for both gives decent results on a lot of platforms, although you could
do better with the help of sizeof and alignment_of. Besides simplifying
the class definition, letting the programmer tweak alignment can be useful
for types that can benefit from extra alignment. An example might be a
character array--it only "needs" byte alignment, but maybe all of the
string operations are tweaked for 32-bit alignment.

Somebody made a rather interesting question, whether an object having size
less than void * might need alignment greater than void *. Well, about
the only maxim the C/C++ standards give is that alignment is platform
dependent. In practice, I've never seen such a strange case. I think
that sizeof(X) <= sizeof(Y) is a pretty good indicator that alignment(X)
<= alignment(Y). (But remember, "minimum-acceptable" alignment is not the
same as "optimum" alignment--my pentium lets me store and fetch a double
at 0xDEADBEEF, but these operations aren't cheap!)

Also, be careful with alignment_of: I remember it giving me some strange
values on some illegal but idiomatic structures (e.g. zero-length
arrays). If it gives you zero, put 8 or something you think is sensible.

hope this helps