From: Martin Bonner (martin.bonner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-10 04:20:20

----Original Message----
From: christopher diggins [mailto:cdiggins_at_[hidden]]
Sent: 10 August 2005 06:30
To: Boost mailing list
Subject: [boost] alignment problem in proposed any alternative

> The question I have is whether in practice though are there are any
> compilers which have stricter alignment requirements on small types
> (<= sizeof(void*)) than a void pointer.

I don't know of any such compilers, but I /can/ conceive of such. A
(16-bit) word addressed machine where sizeof(int*) is 4 but sizeof(void*) is
6 might have the required alignment of int be 4, but the required alignment
of void* only be 2 :-(

On the other hand, it might be acceptable to say "boost::any" is not
supported on such machines.

--
Martin Bonner
Martin.Bonner_at_[hidden]