From: Matthew Nourse (matthew_nourse_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-11 03:50:31

>On 8/10/05, Jose <jmalv04_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>The asio library really looks quite nice. It appears simple to use,
>is 100% header-based, doesn't require the use of threads, and uses the
>most scalable event demultiplexor supplied by the OS (epoll on Linux
>in the 0.3x version and IOCP on Windows). Its a very nice little
>library! Thanks for linking to it. I think I'm in love :-)

I've been writing asio apps for a closed-source software company for the
last 16 months. With asio, I've written:

* a custom HTTP proxy that has been running in production non-stop since
October last year
* an HTTP<->XMPP gateway
* a simple asio-based HTTP load test tool (so I can simulate 20,000
simultaneous HTTP "clients" from a single process)
* a publish/subscribe server with a simple binary protocol- am still trying
to performance tune other code so I can find the limits of this, so far 500
messages/sec doesn't cause any detectable CPU usage on a 3GHz P4.
* A second custom HTTP proxy- this one does some authentication as well.

The first application runs on Windows and the rest run on Debian Linux.
They all share HTTP/networking code where applicable. All applications use
boost::bind and boost::shared_ptr extensively and the publish/subscribe
server uses boost::regex to figure out how to route requests.

I am addicted to asio. I can't stop using it ;-).

Matt