From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-12 15:16:48

I did notice this article and took note of the claim.

This is a very interesting topic to me and one that merits a "science
project". I invested much effort in making sure code was generated at
compile time whenever possible so I would be disappointed at such a result.

My past experience in this area is that one really has to undertake a
serious effort to gather this kind of data. I've been through before with my
sort program (www.rrsd.com) and now believe that there is no short cut in
this area. Anecdotal information is usually very misleading. I would guess
there is likely a few areas where performance is getting bogged down. I
might suspect the stl used in object tracking. However, in the past,
whenever I really looked at these questions with a good statistical
profiler, I've always found that bottle necks in places where I never would
have suspected.

So, this is an interesting area which needs a serious look.

Robert Ramey