From: Paul Baxter (pauljbaxter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-14 18:51:19

Any Boost plans to put any more focus towards threading and multi-processing
in the near future perhaps to provide more user experiences with libraries
that solve programmer's problems. It would help advise any C++ threading
standardisation effort.

Has the effort moved towards say
http://jupiter.robustserver.com/mailman/listinfo/cpp-threads_decadentplace.org.uk

1) Boost Thread library work seems to have slowed considerably and yet now
more than ever this is one area where C++ is sadly lacking. Recent
commentaries such as Kevlin's on this list have not necessarily flattered
the Boost thread design, but do we have a champion(s) who are/could help to
address this, or are alternative efforts happening instead behind the scenes
in C++ working groups?

I've seen lots of excellent advise from Peter Dimov, Dave Abrahams and many
others but is it the case that its just seen as too thorny a problem for
individual's to commit to, or is Boost thread considered sufficient?

2) Is Shmem being considered for the full-scale Boost library treatment as
it appears to have a great deal of useful functionality to support existing
OS threading and shared memory techniques.

I realise reaching a full consensus may be impossible, but I would argue
that multi-processing through threading, process control and shared data
structures is an area of critical importance to C++ in the next few years. A
well-understand pragmatic but not perfect fit to C++ is better than none at
all.

Regards

Paul Baxter