From: Sam Partington (sam.partington_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-15 05:59:57

> > In the past we've been avoiding the use of Javascript.
>
> This "flicker" is only a problem on IE. There's only so much time I will
> spend on working around bugs on IE. Just like we don't spend much time
> in supporting old C++ compilers.

You can fix the flicker quite simply and portably without JS :

----front.css:76-----
/* Lists in sidecells are menus. */
.sidecell ul a {
  border: none;
  background: url(menu_link_indicator.png) no-repeat -14px center;
  padding-left: 14px;
}
.sidecell ul a:hover {
  border: none;
  background-position: left center;
}

The idea being the background is loaded straight away, drawn outside
the links box, and slid into position on hover.

You also need to add this to httpd.conf, otherwise IE will just keep
on downloading images, over and over and over again, even when they've
been loaded at page load time.

#this stops background-image flicker in IE
BrowserMatch "MSIE" brokenvary=1
BrowserMatch "Mozilla/4.[0-9]{2}" brokenvary=1
BrowserMatch "Opera" !brokenvary
SetEnvIf brokenvary 1 force-no-vary
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/gif A2592000
ExpiresByType image/jpeg A2592000
ExpiresByType image/png A2592000

For what its worth I like the >> on the links.

Sam