From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-15 17:51:25

Hi Jose,

--- Jose <jmalv04_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Given the rationale in the papers I understand that your library
> provides a multiplatform async network io solution (emulating async
> behaviour in Linux via select-like mechanisms) but that it will be
> able to include true async network aio_ calls when these are
> available.

Yep, that's it pretty much exactly.

> 1) Is this a solution that will incorporate async disk io in the
> future by wrapping the POSIX aio_ interface or just network focused ?
> (i.e. boost::net vs boost::aio)

That's why I called the library "asio" (== ASynchronous I/O) rather
than something something based on network/socket ;) Seriously, sockets
were implemented first because that's what I needed first, but I think
any OS resource that lends itself to asynchronous I/O is worth
considering.

> 2) Shouldn't the host resolver interface wrap the system getaddrinfo
> calls so that it is IP6 ready as well ( should IP6 be a priority or
> just making the sure the design is able to accommodate it easily when
> necessary ?)

Yes, although in the current design this would be
asio::ipv6::host_resolver. I think IPv6 is probably important, but I
personally have no experience with it.

> In Linux, shouldn't the host resolver wrap the native async
> getaddrinfo_a for best performance ?

I wasn't aware of such a function, and will investigate it.

> 3) How can the library tap into the ideas/experience of the other
> library users ? E.g. the nanostream library has some work that might
> be complementary.
> [... HTTP and nanostream ...]

Yep, I agree, it would be worth revisiting the other libraries that are
out there to see if there are ideas to help refine the design.

> Finally, it would be nice if in addition to your TODO list you can
> provide some document that explains the current design decisions
> (e.g. how you use threads,,..) beyond what is in the proactor pattern

Over the next few weeks I hope to write some short web pages about each
of the major design decisions taken (and some that still need to be
taken).

Cheers,
Chris