From: Jose (jmalv04_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-15 12:39:05

I'm pointing at your annoucement post last year

>The inspiration for asio was the work of Alex Libman in developing a
>"portable Proactor framework" for ACE (see http://www.terabit.com.au).
>This is a Proactor that can use select or a similar synchronous event
>demultiplexer if no more appropriate OS mechanism is available.

and the proactor white papers which I found very useful in
understanding how all fits together

http://www.terabit.com.au/articles.php

Given the rationale in the papers I understand that your library
provides a multiplatform async network io solution (emulating async
behaviour in Linux via select-like mechanisms) but that it will be
able to include true async network aio_ calls when these are
available.

My questions are:

1) Is this a solution that will incorporate async disk io in the
future by wrapping the POSIX aio_ interface or just network focused ?
(i.e. boost::net vs boost::aio)

 2) Shouldn't the host resolver interface wrap the system getaddrinfo
calls so that it is IP6 ready as well ( should IP6 be a priority or
just making the sure the design is able to accommodate it easily when
necessary ?)

In Linux, shouldn't the host resolver wrap the native async
getaddrinfo_a for best performance ?

3) How can the library tap into the ideas/experience of the other
library users ? E.g. the nanostream library has some work that might
be complementary.

4) HTTP: I asked for this just for the examples understanding that a
fully fleshed out library would be separate and probably tie more with
a web applications library, a wide field in itself. The nanostreamer
class also has initial work here that would be nice if it could
somewhat be coordinated

Finally, it would be nice if in addition to your TODO list you can
provide some document that explains the current design decisions (e.g.
how you use threads,,..) beyond what is in the proactor pattern

Thanks
Jose