From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-19 08:02:20

Since we just had a release, should be re-visit moving all the mandatory
source code into a separate directory together? For the newbies, this means
changing the

 BOOST_ROOT
. libs
.. date_time
... src
.. graph
... src

into something like

 BOOST_ROOT
. src
.. date_time
.. graph

Right now, using mandatory source files means scrambling into a lot of
directories figuring out what to add. There is stuff like Boost-Build, but
it doesn't work for everyone, and I feel that it's a "cute" overkill
solution. No matter the plan there are some caveats:

1. Some platforms require some libraries to be put in separate DLLs.
2. You have to exclude the driver files from Boost-Test, since each
includes a "main" function. (And if you actually are doing testing, then
you know that you can include at most one driver file.)

Besides the caveats, you can just dump all the mandatory source code into
your IDE's project file (or make file) and don't worry Boost-Build. If some
source needs to be in a DLL, then start a sub-project. (If you don't need a
library at all, then exclude it from the project to save compile time. The
linker will tell you, by choking, if you went too far.)

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie