From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-19 09:31:38

Daryle Walker <darylew_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Since we just had a release, should be re-visit moving all the mandatory
> source code into a separate directory together? For the newbies, this means
> changing the
>
> BOOST_ROOT
> . libs
> .. date_time
> ... src
> .. graph
> ... src
>
> into something like
>
> BOOST_ROOT
> . src
> .. date_time
> .. graph
>
> Right now, using mandatory source files means scrambling into a lot of
> directories figuring out what to add. There is stuff like Boost-Build, but
> it doesn't work for everyone, and I feel that it's a "cute" overkill
> solution. No matter the plan there are some caveats:
>
> 1. Some platforms require some libraries to be put in separate DLLs.
> 2. You have to exclude the driver files from Boost-Test, since each
> includes a "main" function. (And if you actually are doing testing, then
> you know that you can include at most one driver file.)
>
> Besides the caveats, you can just dump all the mandatory source code into
> your IDE's project file (or make file) and don't worry Boost-Build.

It isn't true. Some libraries need specific compiler/linker options
on specific platforms. Not to mention that the test library has
several (I think) source files containing main() and you can't just
link them all together indiscriminately.

Whatever you think of Boost.Build, I don't see how underkill can work,
and I don't see how libs/xxx/src/... is much worse than src/xxx/...

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting