From: Graham (Graham_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-19 13:33:34

Hi,

Both:

int_fast32_t char_to_Unicode( char c );

int_fast32_t wchar_to_Unicode( wchar_t c )

will require processing of surrogates on order to be Unicode 4
compliant.

A Unicode library is currently under development that will give access
to the surrogate ranges directly from the ucd to allow this to be done
properly.

Please bear with us.

Yours,

Graham

>Message: 13

>Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:15:03 +0400

>From: Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]>

>Subject: Re: [boost] Should we add two simple character-to-Unicode

> converters?

>To: boost_at_[hidden]

>Daryle Walker wrote:

>> Nothing fancy, just something like:

>> int_fast32_t char_to_Unicode( char c );

>> int_fast32_t wchar_to_Unicode( wchar_t c );

>> that converts a native character to a Unicode value.

>Maybe, but it's hard to comment as you haven't even explained what
those

>function will do. What's a "native character" and what a "Unicode
value"

>and how the conversion will be done? If the first function does
conversion

>from local 8 bit encoding to unicode then:

> - do you have a working implementation?

> - isn't dealing with individual characters too slow?

>- Volodya

Graham Barnett

BEng, ACGI, MCSD/ MCAD .Net, MCSE/ MCSA 2003, CompTIA Sec+