From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-22 05:56:45

On 8/19/05 2:33 PM, "Graham" <Graham_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Both:
>
> int_fast32_t char_to_Unicode( char c );
> int_fast32_t wchar_to_Unicode( wchar_t c )
>
> will require processing of surrogates on order to be Unicode 4
> compliant.

I thought of these functions while considering how Wave process the various
phases of C++ translation (see section 2.1 of the standard). I wanted the
conversion to be one native-character to one code-point because that is how
Phase 1 implies it[1]. If you don't think that's right, maybe we should
file a defect with the Standard committee.

> A Unicode library is currently under development that will give access
> to the surrogate ranges directly from the ucd to allow this to be done
> properly.

[1] In other words, any extended native character (i.e. not a character C++
uses for parsing) must be mapped to one C++ Unicode name, which maps to a
single code-point.

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie