From: Jose (jmalv04_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-19 17:27:51

On 8/19/05, Christopher Kohlhoff <chris_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> --- Stefan Arentz <stefan.arentz_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought most resolvers included with the
> > operating systems are not thread safe and synchronous. Maybe only OS
> > X has it's own async implementation. There are of course third party
> > libraries to do this.
>
> I was thinking that an initial implementation could just use an
> internal thread pool to perform the operations using the existing
> blocking functions provided by the OS (unless the OS already provided a
> straightforward way to do it).

Recent Windows, Mac and Linux (glibc 2.2.4) provide the async
functions so it's probably good judgement and less work to wrap those
in the short term. The other option (better from a multiplatform
standpoint) is to implement RFC 1035 in c++. Worth checking
asyncresolv.sf.net

Async DNS is probably the second priority after polishing the existing
interfaces (considering that this library is a core library which you
can use to build a web library on top of it)

> > I sort of have a http server example ready. Needs a little bit more
> > love though, then i'll release it or send it to you to see if you
> > want to include it in the distribution.
>
> That would be excellent!

Great!