From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard (jbms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-19 17:40:31

Stefan Arentz <stefan.arentz_at_[hidden]> writes:

[snip]

> What is the Boost policy of linking with foreign libraries? If
> everything is supposed to happen under the boost umbrella, under the
> boost source tree then maybe it is an idea to write our own async
> resolver? Could be a fun spare time project (for me :-).

I think in practice it is not feasible to attempt to resolve hostnames
using something other than the platform-provided facility. Users tend
to expect and desire that name resolution to work identically in all
programs, and to mimic the behavior of the platform-provided facility,
it is necessary to use the same mechanisms specified in a
platform-specific way by the user. For example, the user may want some
names resolved used a hosts file, NIS, LDAP, or WINS, in addition to DNS
via DNS servers also specified in a platform-specific manner.

[snip]

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard