From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-21 06:47:18

Scott Meyers <smeyers_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Just visited the semi-spiffed up (*) boost site to get 1.33 (not mentioned
> at http://boost.org/more/version_history.html, BTW)

That's for past versions. You can find out about 1.33 on the home
page.

> and I have a question to which I didn't see an answer. What's the
> deal with a .exe distribution? This is a break with the past

Seems to me there's a 1.32 exe also. It's just a self-extracting
archive.

> and it's not described anywhere that I can find. (Try as I might, I
> can't make any sense of "Before downloading, you may want to read
> Release Notes and ChangeLog (accessible by clicking on release
> version)" at
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7586.

The articles are missing. Does this help?

   "Before downloading, you may want to read the Release Notes and
    ChangeLog (accessible by clicking on the release version)"

> The text "release version" exists on that page only in that
> sentence, and ditto for "changelog" and "release notes".)

I guess he also left off the word "number." Click on the text
"1.33.0" on that page.

> Sigh, I also managed to reproducably crash firefox trying to
> download the file.

Just worked for me. 'Course, I downloaded the .exe.
The .zip seems to be doing just fine too.

> The story of my life. I finally decided that while firefox was
> downloading, it really didn't want to be doing anything else. Kind
> of defeats the purpose of multiple tabs....
>
> Thanks for any info you can offer on the .exe.
>
> Scott
>
> (*) The "semi" is because the home page now looks quite different from many
> internal pages, e.g., compare the look of the home page with that of
> http://boost.org/libs/libraries.htm. (This is not a complaint, just an
> observation.)

Work in progress. It's a huge job.

--