From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-29 07:01:00

Ion Gaztañaga <igaztanaga_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I'm also concerned with (in my opinion) needed compatibility with
> Embedded C++. C++ will grow a lot in this area and obviously, threads
> are very used. Embedded C++ specification
> (http://www.caravan.net/ec2plus/) avoids templates and exceptions,

They were wrong to do so, most especially for templates, which are
hugely useful in embedded programming.

> so we need to think some alternatives (apart from exceptions, just
> like iostreams do) to do error checking. And provide some
> low-resource specializations or alternatives to the full-scale C++
> threading.

In my opinion, that would be a huge mistake. EC++ was created as a
"language subset" without the consent or cooperation of the C++
committee. Crippling C++ library interfaces simply in order to
maintain compatibility with it is the wrong thing to do, again IMO.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting