From: Martin Slater (mslater_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-30 04:40:29

> i) My current preference is boost/Y/serialization.hpp
> ii) On the otherhand, the ones I personally did - shared_ptr and some
> others have been put into boost/serialization/Y.hpp. This also applies to
> the STL serialization - since there is not boost/stll/... in any case.
> b) He should include tests. But where should he put them? The current
> situation mirror that of the above. The current method of making the
> library maintainer responsable for making tests pass wouldn't attribute the
> responsablity to the appropriate party

This is only applicable where serialization can be implemented
efficently from the public interface. With boost::dynamic_bitset in
particular it's much more efficient to implement internally otherwise
you need to iterate over the elements into a temporary structure ,
serialize it then reverse on load, whereas internally it is just a
vector + used count. In these cases then it must(?) be the library
maintainer thats responsible for acceptance. Anything else should
probably be reviewed and accepted / rejected by you as that is where the
complaints will be undoubtbly directed in case of problems;)

> c) Is any documentation necessary? - where should it go?

My vote would be with the applicable library.

cheers

Martin