From: Martin Slater (mslater_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-30 04:46:02

> a) for boost/serialization/export.hpp relies on previious inclusion of
> archive headers to know what archives to instantiate code for. This the
> same as version 1.32

I've never added a new archive so I have never needed to include this so
to me this is an implemenation detail that I shouldnt need to worry
about until I implement a new archive type.

> b) The new requirement to support auto-linking. Auto-linking is forced by
> including a header whether or not the code is actually needed. The new
> headers skip those portions which provoke auto-linking if no archive headers
> are included. This permits headers to include serialization and still be
> included in other programs which don't use serialization without required
> link in a library which is not used.
>
> I've resolve to make the rule "include archive headers before serialization
> headers\" conditional on the usage of auto-linking. I'm not sure this is a
> great thing. It will address the concerns of those who have had an issue
> with this. But it will also require that a program which is developed on
> say GCC will have to suppress auto-linking with a compile time define when
> the program is compiled on a VC or borland. I'm still mulling this over.

I think this means that effectively auto-linking is just not worth it, I
for one will immediately disable it as the pain the refactoring caused
far outweighs adding a library to the link command. A simple solution
would be to add serialization/auto_link.hpp that had to be included to
get the auto linking feature, not ideal but far better than the include
dependancy and could be a stopgap for 1.33.1 until a better solution is
reached.

cheers

Martin