From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-30 08:59:51

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 06:20:49 -0700, Bart wrote
> "John Maddock" <john_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> > 3) Finally there are a lot of places where an unsigned short is written to
> > or read from a stream: unfortunately the dinkumware lib treats these "as
> > if"
> > they were a wide character value, rather than an integer. Casting to
> > unsigned int in these cases would fix that, but it's a horrid cludge, and
> > don't know what you might think about that!

I take it this only happens if you attempt to use a wide stream variant and
has no effect on narrow stream i/o? If so, I'd argue that the user is
selecting a 'invalid setup'. That is, using a wide stream with native wchar_t
support turned off -- which then leads to the problem. Assuming this is all
true, I'm reluctant to 'hack up' the library code to work around this. Seems
like the compiler is telling the user something valuable...

Jeff