From: Bart (bartmann.nsd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-30 08:20:49

"John Maddock" <john_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Jeff,

I can answer some of these...

> I've been playing with date_time to try and get it to do the right thing
> with VC++ when /Zc:wchar_t is *not* specified, and I've come up with a
> list
> of questions for you if you don't mind :-)
>
> 1) What's the meaning of USE_DATE_TIME_PRE_1_33_FACET_IO? Without it the
> testtime_wstream.cpp test case fails even with /Zc:wchar_t, this is a
> source
> of confusion if you're building the building the tests in your IDE for
> whatever reason.
>
> 2) Without USE_DATE_TIME_PRE_1_33_FACET_IO the testgrep_wstream.cpp test
> doesn't compile irrespective of the /Zc:wchar_t option:

With boost 1.33, date_time uses a totaly new system for streaming IO. We
kept the pre 1.33 streaming code, and tests, in the library. That macro
allows a person to choose which system they want to use. This is all in the
documentation: http://tinyurl.com/cyu2d

The old tests are dependant on the old code, therefore, they fail to compile
when the macro is not defined.

...snip...

> 3) Finally there are a lot of places where an unsigned short is written to
> or read from a stream: unfortunately the dinkumware lib treats these "as
> if"
> they were a wide character value, rather than an integer. Casting to
> unsigned int in these cases would fix that, but it's a horrid cludge, and
> don't know what you might think about that!

I'll let Jeff handle this one...

Bart