From: Thomas Witt (witt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-30 17:47:14

Hi,

AFAICT there is currently no way to make cvs provide writable files when
  checking out/updating the boost repository. This causes me some grief
and I might not be the only one out there.

After reading the CVS manual (well the watch part) I have concluded that
this is due to the fact that somebody issued a recursive 'cvs watch on'
on the boost tree. AFAICS this has not been discussed on the mailing
list. This forces a certain usage of cvs on everybody else. I.e. the
users have to use 'cvs edit' (or fiddle with file permissions).

For now I am strongly opposed to this way of using cvs. In my experience
the use of 'cvs edit' does not provide significant benefit while it adds
significant overhead to my work. Most users will change the permissions
locally and not bother with cvs edit anyway. If there is anybody out
there who has different experiences I would be very interested to hear
about them.

I therefore propose to turn cvs watch off thus giving the user a choice
whether she wants read-only or read-write files. Please note that this
does not disable the watching of files in general. Every user still can
use cvs watch add to watch files and is still guaranteed to get notified
about the really interesting events (i.e. those that alter a file in the
repository).

What did I miss? What do you think?

Thomas