From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-31 10:31:24

From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
> "John Maddock" <john_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> >> Would adding a runtime parameter improve the API?
> >
> > Well that's a good question: I'm just thinking out loud really, the options
> > are choice or no choice, and if choice then compile-time or runtime? My gut
> > feeling is that compile time parameterisation should be used only when
> > there's some real benefit, and I don't see it in this case - there's no need
> > to make everything a template :-) No honestly there isn't really :->
>
> Yeah, but as has been pointed out repeatedly, the user can add his own
> handler.

The arguments for not catching all exceptions are resoundingly
strong. Add to that the point made here that one can add one's
own handler, and the answer is plain: Boost.Thread should *not*
catch all exceptions.

There should be a FAQ or a section in the documentation
discussing the selected approach and explaining how one can
effect swallowing exceptions for oneself, with suitable warnings
as to why that isn't likely to be a good idea.