From: Michael Glassford (glassfordm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-01 07:57:54

>From: Roland Schwarz <roland.schwarz_at_[hidden]>
>To: boost_at_[hidden]
>Subject: Re: [boost] [boost thread rework] New version uploaded to
>Boost Vault
>Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:06:27 +0200
>
>Matt Hurd schrieb:
>
>>>I'd really like to know that the existing library is being actively
>>>and conscientiously maintained before we move on to bigger and better
>>>things.
>>>

>>Perhaps not too much to ask for...
>>
>>I tend to agree with David's sentiment. I'd be happy to start a
>>simplification and restructure of the basic primitives. The code
>>should be restructured into platform specific implementations, like
>>boost has elsewhere (such as the atomic inc for shared_prt), as the
>>current code I find a little tricky to read.
>>
>>With such a restructure the various platforms could have different
>>maintainers to eliminate a bit of the difficulty of trying to support
>>such a cross platform library.
>>

>This is the second time I see this happen :-(
>
>Bill Kempf, the original author of the library silently disappeared.
>The reason always was unclear to me.

And to all of us, since we haven't been able to get in touch with him.

>It looks to me as if he was
>disappointed that the C++ comitee did not accept anything of the
>threading work so far. Please correct me if this are wrong impressions.

As far as I know, nothing was ever proposed to the C++ committee, so I don't
think this isn't the reason. I could be wrong, though.

>At least I learned this from digging through the muddy waters of the
>mailing list archive.
>
>Next Michael Glassford appeared, trying hard to improve on the
>library. I don't know what happened. I don't know whether he
>underestimated the task or he is beeing teared apart by something
>different. At a minimum I would like to hear what he has to say
>about the new plans. (I also BCC this to him directly.)

I've been chronically short of time all along. I also recently changed jobs
and my interests are moving in other directions. I also don't currently have
a machine configured to work on Boost.

I'm glad to see interest in improving Boost.Threads, and will be glad to
give what help I can, which is obviously pretty limited.

I did have some ideas for Boost.Threads that I was working on before
changing jobs; perhaps I can refresh myself on them at some point and
present the ideas for what they're worth.

Mike