From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-01 10:16:10

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:17:02 +0400, Vladimir Prus wrote
> Jeff Garland wrote:
>
> I believe you're overly cautions.

Perhaps. I'm just suggesting that we step back, plan out the steps, and give
everyone enough time to get used to the new world. Instead of being overly
optimistic (as is typical in our release schedules that drag on forever) we
should be more realistic with this conversion.

> Take as example the biggest
> project ever switched to Subversion -- KDE. There were no real
> problems after the switch. As user interface of Subversion is almost
> the same as in CVS.

So what, how much effort went into the run-up to the switchover?

As I said, I think subversion is the way to go, but realize this needs to be
fit in with the release schedule, the upgrade to boost V2, reviews, revamp of
the web site, etc, etc. Bottom line is that this will temporarily delay other
things and we just need to do it with our eyes open -- that is, with a plan.
For example, we might plan to do this right after 1.34 (behind the build.v2
upgrade) and then we have time to do whatever needs to be done -- instead of
just rushing to do it right now...

Jeff