From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-04 04:33:13

>>> I think that especially on CE, you'd really want to use a lock (on
>>> slow path) and never busy-wait... priority inversions, y'know.
>>
>> Very good point, I knew I'd missed something :-)
>
> You need Sleep(1) instead.

I thought I had, but Oh shucks, apparently not, and I *knew* that as well,
how embarrassing!

In any case as Alexander pointed out it doesn't completely help due to the
priority inversion problem, there's a good description of the issue here:
http://www.netrino.com/Publications/Glossary/PriorityInversion.html. It can
be worked around, but by the time you've done that, you may well have just
have used a mutex and let that handle the thread priorities for you (the
previously posted mutex version can be improved upon however, as can the
existing Boost.Thread code).

John.