From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-05 10:20:33

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:47:18 -0700, Schrom, Brian T wrote
> I've been working on a charting library for a few weeks and am wondering
> whether their would be any interest in having a boost one. I'm not even
> sure that it makes sense for boost, as it seems a higher level
> library than most of libraries and also unrelated to other
> libraries.
>
> There would be many things to work out, like no graphics in Boost (that
> I'm aware of), my not being an expert C++ person, etc, so I'm just
> trying to get a feel whether it is worth pursuing more here or not,
> or if there would be another forum that would be better.

I think there would be interest and I believe there are solutions to the
problems you raise. For example, you could integrate the chart lib so that it
could use several different graphics packages that would be external to boost
(iostreams, for example, can use various compression libs for compressing data).

That said, if you are new to C++ meeting boost standards might be a monumental
amount of work. I'd suggest you develop the ideas more, use them, and when
you have something a bit further along ask again. Of course, folks here will
certainly answer questions if you need help as you go...

Jeff