From: Alexander Terekhov (terekhov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-07 12:40:02

Anthony Williams wrote:
[...]
> I can understand what you're getting at with the derived class for dynamic
> contexts, such as class members, but how are you envisioning the
> call_once_reset function working? Would it take a specific once_flag as a
> parameter, and reset it, as if it has never been called?

Yes. And also cleanup result stuff, if any. Pretty much the same notion
(reset() vs destroy() aside for moment) as with statically initialized
pthread primitives and corresponding _destroy() calls like
pthread_mutex_destroy() that can be used for "pedantic" cleanup of
statically initialized pthread objects at process termination to please
leak detectors (resources may be acquired dynamically on first use) or
whatnot.

See also

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.programming.threads/msg/92e475f3d9f2c93c

> When would this be used,

That's up to the client. For example, in some module_fini().

> and how would it help with static destruction?

Static destruction of what?

regards,
alexander.