From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-12 14:33:38

Honestly, with time I have available, I've been resolving a couple of
obscure but problematic issues re RC_1_33_0.

Just to summarize:

a) I've agreed to enhance the tutorial section on pointers so that the
application of serialization of derived pointers isn't overlooked by the
casual reader.

b) I've agreed to alter the "Archive Concept" section
    i) to eliminate the implementation of of the functions.
    ii) to put it in a tabular format without the "class ... "
    iii) consider whether it would better or worse to make to almost
identical sections for loading archives and saving archives or just one
section with notes for the operators/functions which don't apply.
    iv) probably change the name from "Archive Concept" to "Archive Type".
I still have reservations about this as the term Archive is used to refer to
any type that supports a specified set of operations. That would seem to
fit in the definition of a concept to me. I'm still mulling this over.

c) Re the last issue of which namespace non-instrusive serialization
functions should be placed into.

I actually did spend a lot of time on this in the past. The issue surfaced
when I first compiled with CW, gcc 4.0 and Commeau. I carefully studied the
explanation in Vandevoordes and Jostuttis book, and made changes. This
resulted in a much simpler "suggestion" as which namespace to use for
non-intrusive serialization functions. It also resulted in all the above
compilers compiling and executing all the tests without problem of any kind
when.

So I've already spent a lot of time on this issue.

Now it seems I didn't appreciate all there is two know about two-phase
lookup. So it takes some time to go back and review all the considerations
that entered my mind when I "fixed" it the first time. It's not that I'm
dismissing your concerns.

Remind me of what its that you want to see changed. The documentation
re-worded or what? If its just a question about making that documentation
more precise, that would be pretty easy.

Robert Ramey