From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-13 12:55:20

Joel de Guzman <joel_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> This may have more to do with boostbook/quickbook than with xpressive, but in my
>> Windows XP FireFox browser, it appears that every place inline code is
>> followed by regular text, there is no space separating them. Spaces
>> also seem to be missing in a few other places, e.g. "usingnamespace"
>> can be seen on
>> http://boost-consulting.com/projects/xpressive/xpressive/user_s_guide.html#xpressive.introduction,
>> as can "representationof" ("representation" is in italics). So this
>> probably applies to all style changes.
>
> I'm almost sure that I already fixed that a few days ago. Ok,
> lemme check...
>
> Ok, I just confirmed that this bug has been fixed. Eric, please run
> the docs using the latest QuickBook from Boost HEAD CVS.
>
>> Also, the full justification of text is difficult to read. I don't
>> think web browsers are smart enough about formatting to make that
>> legible, at least not at the normal smallish text sizes.
>
> Hrmmm. Very subjective. I feel the opposite. Full justification is
> better for smaller fonts than bigger fonts because there are more
> spaces to allocate and divide. The problem is when there are few
> spaces in between text.

Well, I don't know the reasons, but Firefox does a fairly poor job of
it, at least compared to LaTeX. Well, maybe my biggest complaint has
to do with tables, as in
http://boost-consulting.com/projects/xpressive/xpressive/creating_a_regex_object.html

LaTeX does a bad job there, too :)

Can you turn off full justification in tables?

>> Also, I think the abbrev "parens" should be changed to the word
>> "parentheses" :)
>
> In QuickBook docs? In xpressive?

The xpressive docs. But QuickBook too, if you use "parens" there.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting