From: Kon Lovett (klovett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-14 06:04:53

On Sep 14, 2005, at 2:14 AM, Kevin Wheatley wrote:

> Kon Lovett wrote:
>> Maybe use the
>>
>> long /* free blocks avail to non-superuser */
>>
>> field rather than the
>>
>> long f_bfree; /* free blocks in fs */
>>

> f_bavail; is not a documented feature of IRIX's statfs but actually
> thinking about it it would be better to use statvfs() which does
> (http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/sys/
> statvfs.h.html)

Sorry, I see only thru my tiny window. No IRIX exposure, except SGI
demos.

> However do all OS's have a concept of two different answers to how
> much free space there is, and what would an application developer want
> to know, if I'm writing a 'df' style application then I might want
> both. I guess the available space for the user is more interesting..
> but then you get into quota's etc.

Yes, I wanted to point out the different answers issue. For server &
desktop OS, probably yes, >1 answer to the space question, depending on
who is asking the question. For embedded OS, w/ backing store of some
kind, running a specialized, contained, app, maybe only 1 answer.

I think the free space answer will range in exactness - race issues,
quota's (as you point out), etc. Possibly one can only rely on the
value as a hint, and just use it to postpone failsafe.