From: Cromwell Enage (sponage_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-14 14:01:26

--- Dan McLeran <dan.mcleran_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I also do some static assertions and I was thinking
> of adding static functionality to add, multiply,
> divide, etc. at compile time. One could do this if
> one knew the lhs & rhs values at compile-time.

Have you checked out MPL?
<http://www.boost.org/libs/mpl/doc/>

If you haven't done so, check out the section on
"Numeric Metafunctions".

> >>I would love to figure out how to trick the
> >>compiler into evaluating a floating point,
non-type
> >>argument but so far I haven't found it (a few
ideas
> >>though :)
>
> This makes me think about something like
representing
> the float in unsigned format: sign, exponent,
> mantissa. You could figure out how to add and
> subtract, etc. the floats in this form and use
> meta-programming techniques to do some
floating-point
> math with the compiler.

Peder Holt and I are doing some work in that area.
Peder's work is in the "metamath" sections of the
Sandbox CVS
<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/boost-sandbox/boost-sandbox/>;
as soon as I fix a couple of bugs, I'll upload my work
to the Vault <http://boost-consulting.com/vault/>. In
the meantime, keep track of the "metadouble" threads
and any discussions regarding MPL and numerics.

                              Cromwell D. Enage