From: alnsn-boost (alnsn-boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-17 13:32:38

I propose to add promote, integral_promotion and floating_point_promotion class templates to type_traits library.

You can download it from
http://cpp-experiment.sourceforge.net/promote-20050917.tar.gz

or browse it online
http://cpp-experiment.sourceforge.net/promote-20050917/

I've tried it on different compilers with various success:
GNU/Linux (gentoo-hardened): gcc 3.3 and 3.4, Intel 7, 8 and 9
Windows: VC7 free compiler
Sparc Solaris: Sun C++ 5.3 and 5.7

See comments at the beginning of promote_enum_test.cpp for what is broken.
http://cpp-experiment.sourceforge.net/promote-20050917/libs/type_traits/test/promote_enum_test.cpp

I used to compile tests on VC6 and I'm pretty sure I can add workarounds if someone is still interested. Actually, it compiled the tests better then VC7.
As for Borland 5.5, is_enum is broken and I don't see any reason to support this compiler.

--
Alexander