From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-18 11:57:09

> I wonder why your results are so different from mine. Please post the
> code for your modified test so I can run it locally. Thanks.

Still no review :-(

But I did find the time to set the performance tester going on Linux before
I went out this morning, and:

Boost.Regex and PCRE came in with almost spot on the same times as on
Windows (they should it's the same machine just rebooted into Mandiva
Linux).

Xpressive was almost twice as fast as on Windows for the very short "trivial
match" tests (!), other results were broadly as before.

I also compiled with gcc-4.0.0 and -DBOOST_REGEX_RECURSIVE, the differences
between xpressive and regex were much smaller now on those very short tests,
the medium length ones they were neck and neck, and the long ones
Boost.Regex pulled ahead again.

The most noticeable thing was that all the results were about 30% faster
with gcc-4 on Linux than with VC7.1 on Windows, I'd say that was a result
for Open Source!

John.