From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-20 07:51:20

John Maddock wrote:

> I think the regressions for thread and wave libs in the
> 1.33.1 branch can be removed quite easily if the Jamfiles for
> these tests stopped using <runtime-link>static.
>
> Anyone know if there was/is any rationale for this? The
> problem is that some platforms either don't have a
> static-runtime option, or it may be "optional". For example
> these tests all fail on my Mandriva Linux box because there
> are no static runtimes supplied. Other Linux versions may
> supply them, but as can be seen from the regression test
> results they sometimes cause more trouble that they are worth.

There is no real rational for this *blush*. The only reason I had to link
the libraries statically was driven from the point of view of the MSVC
environment, where the only way to link against a non-threaded lib is to use
static linking. The aim was to emphasise, that the Wave applet does not use
and does not need threads.

> BTW, just because the Boost libs are linked statically this
> does not imply that the runtime must be statically linked
> (just in case that was causing any confusion).

I'll change it to use dynamic linking ASAP.

Regards Hartmut