From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-21 10:32:39

Andy Little wrote:
> "Joel de Guzman" wrote
>

>>Is your impression in any way connected to your feeling that
>>Boost is getting over crowded and hence more unfriendly to the
>>Boost user?
>

> Has there been any progress in making each library available separately?.
> That would surely answer the criticism that boost is too big.
> Watching the downloads would also give useful feedback as to which libraries are
> most used. That must be essential information to the standards committees
> Finally making each library separately available would give more prominence to
> the libraries themselves rather than the boost brand. (I dont know whether that
> is good or bad).

Good point. For example, from the beginning, Spirit has
its own site and has a separate download. We even package a
"miniboost"--just enough to get things going.

     http://spirit.sf.net

It might be a good idea to give library authors their own web
space under boost where they can put stuff like separate
downloads. That shouldn't be too hard to do. For example,
since 2 years ago, we've separated the application repository
from the spirit distribution to take off the excess "fat"
from Boost. We placed examples and full Spirit applications
outside the distro into a slot in the website:

     http://tinyurl.com/29mcn

Soon, I'm planning to collect stuff like tutorials and place
them in the site as well.

I'm even considering removing things outside the "core" Spirit
from the distro into a separate download to further streamline
the library.

Cheers,

--
Joel de Guzman