From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-22 08:39:33

Kevin Wheatley wrote:
>Dave Harris wrote:
> > As I said in my previous post, I find the current behaviour quite
>useful.
> > I sometimes use assert as a convenient way of saying, "issue a warning
> > message, but only in debug builds."
>
>[snip]
>
> > used BOOST_ASSERT the same way I use MFC ASSERT. If you're confident
> > no-one has, fine - but I don't see anything in the documentation which
> > says my use is wrong.
>
>That would be me... I use the assert handler functionality to throw an
>exception during unit testing because the Test library can't deal with
>assert() very well, but throwing is OK and can be handled and reported
>far nicer.

You need to be very careful here. If you have asserts in a destructor, they
could throw and terminate your tests without any diagnostics! ATL has
asserts in several destructors.

Ideally, you would want the asserts to become test cases, i.e.
CPPUNIT_ASSERT or BOOST_ASSERT but unfortunately, CPPUNIT_ASSERT throws an
exception :(.

- Reece