From: Jost, Andrew (Andrew_Jost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-27 14:18:18

> From: boost-bounces_at_[hidden]
> [mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of David Abrahams

> We really need a section at the top of the page titled "What
> is Boost?"

Are you thinking of a section to replace "Welcome to Boost.org", or
perhaps just a new subheading? Something like this:

WELCOME TO BOOST.ORG!
  What is Boost: ...
  Getting started: ...
  Background: ...

> * Boost is a collection of C++ libraries
> - Free for any use
> - Extensively peer-reviewed
> - Extensively Tested

(replace first sentence with the following)
What is Boost: Boost is an organization of developers dedicated to the
advancement of C++. Boost provides a collection of C++ libraries that
improve the utility and portability of C++. Boost uses a highly
collaborative, peer-reviewed development process. Boost libraries are
completely free for any use, and are thoroughly tested on several
platforms.

"We emphasize libraries that work..." (possibly make further edits to
existing passage)

> * When you download Boost, you get the whole collection
>
> * There are some dependencies among libraries, but they are not
> tightly coupled
>
> * There is a tool (bcp) for extracting the parts you want and their
> dependencies.
>
> * Many boost libraries can be used just by putting the library
> collection's top directory in your #include path. Complete
> instructions for getting started are at: ___
>
> * The important features of the Boost directory structure are:
> - boost
> - libs
> - more
> - tools
> (with rough descriptions of each)

Perhaps this could be added under the "Getting started:" subheading?
That is, unless it would make that section too long. The current page
is nicely formatted into digestible chucks -- I would be wary of
breaking up the visual flow.

-Andy