From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-28 06:55:11

"David Abrahams" wrote

I believe that http://www.boost.org/more/proposal.pdf covers this quite well.

> * When you download Boost, you get the whole collection

Is this a feature or just an unexciting fact? IMO this needs to go in the
download section

> * There are some dependencies among libraries, but they are not
> tightly coupled.

Then why do you need to download the whole collection?

> * There is a tool (bcp) for extracting the parts you want and their
> dependencies.

Then why is it not available at the website? You still have to download the
complete libraries.
FWIW I would put all this information in the download section and/or in a using
boost commercially section. Knowing no better I would expect to be able to
download one library at a time, so boost needs to explain thats not possible at
this point.

> * Many boost libraries can be used just by putting the library
> collection's top directory in your #include path. Complete
> instructions for getting started are at: ___

This sounds like a FAQ

> * The important features of the Boost directory structure are:
> - boost
> - libs
> - more
> - tools
> (with rough descriptions of each)

That is probably the beginnings of a Site map isnt it? Though the underlying
directory structure is there it needs a site map to reveal it.

> I'd like to see some discussion of what's missing (or extra) in the
> list above...
> and a volunteer to write the introductory passage :)

Sorry that my previous post sounds like a criticism. Rene Rivera has done a
great job of redesigning the main page but that is only trying to paper over the
cracks job IMO .The whole boost website needs to be redesigned. Most of the
information above is available already somewhere but is difficult to find.

regards
Andy Little