From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-28 16:01:38

From: "Andy Little" <andy_at_[hidden]>
> "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>
> Have you considered that the index page may be too busy.
>
> For example see :
>
> http://www.microchip.com/
>
> There is a huge amount of information available but only headings are used on
> the index page. Using their approach I would guess that a link titled "About"
> would be suitable for those who want to know what boost is.
> IOW nothing much on the main page ...just links.

I find their page lifeless. I appreciate the amount of
information offered, but there's too much. They need to
categorize a bit more to reduce the number of links presented.

I can apply a similar argument to Boost's home page. There are
too many links, though they are presented far more beneficially
in the sidebar.

A bulleted list of salient points that are links to background
information or details would serve well.

> As a user all I usually want from an index is to get to the
> particular information I need as quickly as possible by
> clicking on the appropriate link.( For instance how would I
> quickly find Supported Compilers via the current page)?

You have to pick your audience for a home page. In our case it
should introduce Boost to those completely unfamiliar with it.
Everyone else can use another page. (That is, we can have a
secondary home page, if you will, that omits the introductory
text and related links and offers the links most useful to the
rest of us. Then, you simply need to save a bookmark to that
secondary home page to get your quick index to everything Boost.)