From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-29 05:24:03

"Simon Buchan" <simon_at_[hidden]> wrote

[cut]

> More seriously, UI consistancy with the local platform is rather
> important. On X systems, every time you double-click the title it
> collapses into it, while on Windows it maximises! The GUI should by
> default behave the same as the rest of the user's programs.
> Think of it as localising to the users UI locale.

Thats a good point, but is that not convention only? Its not required behaviour.
Suppose I am on an XWindows system and I want MSWindows behaviour. That point
about locale is a good one. A sequence of user actions must map to a
state-machine that finally maps the sequence of clicks into a particular
function such as Maximise, Minimise, etc. Maybe its possible to load the map
from some sort of resource.

"Windows Actions file"
  States:
        Maximised, Minimised, UserSize;

Actions:
 TitleDoubleclick
    Maximised -> UserSize
    Minimised -> UserSize
    UserSize -> Maximised

"XWindows Actions File"
 States:
     Maximised, Minimised, UserSize;

Actions:
 TitleDoubleclick
    Maximised -> UserSize
    Minimised -> UserSize
    UserSize -> Minimised

maybe XML would be a good way to store resources.

regards
Andy Little